CONESA BOJ LAB
Electron Nanoscopy of Quantum Materials
The ConesaBoj Lab is part of the Department of Quantum Nanoscience, in the Kavli Institute of Nanoscience at the Delft University of Technology.
The main scientific driver of our group is the understanding, controlling, and exploiting of the exciting physical phenomena arising in quantum materials such as two-dimensional (van der Waals) nanomaterials and assessing their potential for applications from optoelectronics to nanophotonics.
The functionalities of quantum materials, and the devices built upon them, are highly sensitive to properties such as dimensionality, material combinations, and the type of edge structures they exhibit. Realising the exciting potential of these materials for technological applications hence demands understanding in detail these functionalities down to the single atom scale. With this motivation, we adopt a synergetic approach by combining in-house top-down and bottom-up nanofabrication techniques with state-of-the-art transmission electron microscopy and cutting-edge data analysis techniques.
We are grateful for funding from Delft University of Technology, the European Research Council, NWO, the Frontiers in Nanoscience program, the Kavli Foundation, and the Topconsortia voor Kennis en Innovatie (TKI)
- New paper accepted in ACS Phys. Chem. Au!If you want to learn how the optoelectronic properties of WS2 arise from mixed crystalline phases, check our latest paper with DFT calculations, validating previous experimentalContinue reading “New paper accepted in ACS Phys. Chem. Au!”
- First PhD candidate to graduate in our lab: Congratulations Dr. Luigi Maduro!Today we celebrated the successful PhD defense of Luigi Maduro, the first PhD candidate to graduate in our lab. In his thesis Luigi combines first principles calculations withContinue reading “First PhD candidate to graduate in our lab: Congratulations Dr. Luigi Maduro!”
- Congratulations to Isabel for completing her MSc project!Many congratulations to Isabel Postmes who successfully completed her MSc project on Machine learning methods for data processing in electron energy loss spectroscopy. We wish you theContinue reading “Congratulations to Isabel for completing her MSc project!”
Meet the Team
- Luigi Maduro (Postdoc)
- Sabrya van Heijst (PhD candidate)
- Maarten Bolhuis (PhD candidate)
- Abel Brokkelkamp (PhD candidate)
- Helena La (PhD candidate)
- Yashoda Sewnarain (MSc student)
- Boran Apak (MSc student)
- Ruben Speijer (MSc student)
- Patricia Ares (BSc student)